not-so-spicy cucumber cooler
although this cocktail does take some prep work, it's simple to throw together. the chili infused sake didn't get nearly as spicy as i wanted, despite the fact that the pepper burned me real good while getting cut up. it ended up being the slightest presence in the final concoction. there are 4 parts to this drink: cucumber sake, chili sake, sweetened lime juice, and soda.
- i prefer using unfiltered sake for this one. all it takes to infuse is 1 med/large cucumber per bottle of sake. if the infused sake is going to be seen by guests, peeling stripes in the skin makes the slices look super fancy.
- fill a container with the cucumber slices. shake the sake well and pour over the slices. cover and let sit in the refrigerator, for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best. unfiltered sake will separate, so give it a good shake or stir before mixing it in the cocktail.
- slice up a chili pepper, and taste a bit to see how spicy it is. i originally used 1 pepper to 2 bottles of draft sake, but the next time around, i'll use 1 pepper to 1 bottle. combine the chili and sake in a container, cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 4 hours, or overnight.
sweetened lime juice:
- the general rule of thumb is 1cup fresh lime juice and 1/2cup sweetener of choice- either a sugar simple syrup, or agave nectar. i like to use agave- not only because it's easier than making syrup, it's also healthier. note though, that raw agave will turn the mixture brown, so a lighter option is better.
not-so-spicy cucumber cooler:
- 1 part cucumber infused sake
- 1 part chili infused sake
- 1 part sweetened lime juice
- fill a cocktail shaker with ice, and add the sakes and sweetened lime juice. add lid, and shake 'er up!
- pour into a glass and top with soda. garnish with a slice of cucumber on the rim.
- drink it down and repeat.