simple ribbon headbands
my friend jaine from brklynview came over for a ricotta cheese making party, and we did a quick craft while waiting for our cheese to cool down. this ribbon reminded me of jaine the second i saw it, primarily due to the shocking pink satin stripes. we threw together these headbands in a hot minute.
- gros grain or velvet ribbon- measure around your head with the ribbon, or a measuring tape. subtract 3-4", depending on the length of your hairbands
- 2 hair bands
- needle and thread
- fray check
- place right band over left
- pull the right band through the left, looping over itself
- pull both bands to create a knot
attaching the ribbon:
- apply fray check to both ends of ribbon and let dry. crease ribbon 1/4" from edge.
- crease ribbon again, 1/4" from the first fold.
- knot the end of the thread, and bring through the first crease line.
- add hair band to the edge of ribbon, folding up both crease lines to encase the elastic.
- start sewing by bringing the needle to the outside of the ribbon. lower it over 1 cord of the gros grain and bring it back through. keep the needle behind the first crease line, so the stitches on the interior are hidden.
- bring the needle out of the crease line 1/4" from where you started.
- stich crease line to the exterior again, and continue all the way across.
- at the end of the crease, knot thread and bring tail back through. trim end.
- repeat procedure on opposite side