with all of my heart! i buy a carmelita from wholefoods almost every time i go, and then we eat a single bite of it for 4 days to savor the gooey deliciousness. i was excited when one of my favorite baking blogs, the brown eyed baker, posted a recipe for them that didn't use corn syrup. i tweaked it ever so slightly by using some caramel that i had from the franklin fountain (aka. liquid gold), and rearranging the order of the toppings. because these are for a very special valentine, i gussied them up by using a silicone tart pan (similar to this one), and a 7"x9" pan. the whole thing can be put in a 13"x9" pan, and will be equally delicious.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup of caramel sauce, warm enough to pour
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- preheat oven to 350 and butter a 13"x9" pan.
- whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- cream butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. with the speed on low, add the flour mixture until incorporated.
- add the oats and mix to combine
- put 2/3 of the mixture into the pan and press it into a solid layer. bake for 12-15 minutes
- let cool slightly before adding the toppings
- pour caramel onto cooled cookie crust and spread to the edges.
- top with an even coating of left over cookie mixture, chocolate chips and pecans.
- put back in the oven for another 15 minutes, until the topping is golden and the caramel is bubbling.
- let cool completely before cutting.
makes approximately 24 bars.