resin handles: batch 1
October 17 2012, 9:47 pm
- silicone mold
- resin supplies
- pigments: amber, transparent red, and opaque black
- previous tortoise attempts
- original handles
- mixed 1oz resin. added 6 drops amber pigment.
- poured very slight amount into mold cavities.
- added 1 drop of red pigment to resin.
- poured almost all of the resin into the center of each cavity, pushing the amber resin to each end.
- added a drop of black pigment to the mixing cup. note: although pigment was shaken thoroughly, it had separated and was slightly transparent. at the time this seemed good, due to the amount of solid black drops during the last test.
- with a T pin, black resin was swirled into the cavities. because the mold is blue, it was very difficult to see how much and where the black swirls were. even with a strong light, it was practically blind swirling.
- 1oz of resin is just under what will fill the mold completely. a second batch was needed to top off each cavity, which made the color inconsistent.
- much more black needed to achieve maximum swirl.
- overall color too light. transparent brown pigment might be necessary.
- mold works great with the exception of visibility during the swirl phase.